The laptop is not just a device – for many of us, it is the sacred thing, with which we spend most of our time. And that is why it is not a rare thing to take a cup of tea or a coffee while working with a laptop. It is a delicious addition to a working process, though drinking liquids near the laptop can cause some unpleasant outcomes.
Spilling liquids on Mac, while working with it or even not during the very process, is a common thing that surely happened to any of us. But, when you are prepared for this you have more chances to save your Mac and not to lose it forever. The below tips will help you be ready for such situations if the unlucky strike occurs.
- The first and the most dangerous thing that can be caused by spilling liquids on Mac is a fire. It happens not often, but in the most severe cases, there can be fire. That is why it is important to remove the cable from the device to cut off the power if any. Then press and hold the Power button to switch it off.
- Turn the laptop upside down, so that the liquids could be drained off. Such a position and the force of gravity help the liquids leave the laptop.
- Remove the battery. After cutting the power, it is important to remove another source of it – the battery. However, it can be uneasy, as many Macs have built-in batteries.
- The next step is to take an absorbent cloth and use it to rub the Mac dry, especially ports and vents.
- It is also better if you dry the laptop from the inside, but for this, you need the necessary tools and this will also void your warranty. But drowning Mac has already done it, so no worries should be taken in this regard. If you have no knowledge of how to open Mac up, it is not recommended to do so and it is better to contact the specialists.
- Removing and cleaning up the keyboard is your next step. And this is even more important if the liquids are sticky. Just rub all the keys, so that no sign of liquids remains.
- To force up the drying, you can use heating or a hair dryer, but it is very important to keep the temperature low enough not to harm the laptop.
- Put your Mac in front of a fan. The flow of air will also help to dry it faster.
- The trick with rice can also help, but you should also be careful not to grease the device. You can damp Mac into a container with uncooked rice so that it would cover the device totally and absorb the liquids.
- The next advice is similar to the previous one, but in this case, you can use silica packets. They are also good at absorbing liquids but you will need some amount of it for good results.
Now after doing all these tricks, you can try to turn the device on to see if it can still go on functioning and thus bringing you joy. And if it works, it is very important to back up your data, if you haven’t done this already.
Hopefully, the above tips will help you save your Mac, if you got into such an unpleasant situation with liquids in your devices.