Apple macOS takes care of the security of users and the password is the first-standing tool for that. It is a common situation that we try to create strong passwords and as a result, forget the combination. The password is required for logging into the Mac but it is also possible to perform the automatic login procedure. However, when you want to perform such operations, like installation of the new software or erasing of the valuable files, your password is a very significant thing. Thus, forgetting the password often causes panic and confuses the users. These concerns are understandable, but you should not worry since we know how to cope with such a situation.
Make Use of a Hint in Order to Recollect the Password
You have an unlimited number of attempts for entering your personal password. After the third try, MacOS will provide a prompt. It will specify the phrase, which you typed into the hint box while setting your password. This prompt will assist you to remember the combination of your password.
- Go to System Preferences
- Select Users & Groups
- Click the Lock icon in the bottom left
- Press the Return three times
While pressing the Return key, the shaking of the screen is in process. You can see a hint after the 3rd shaking. There is no limit for password entering.
It is important that the hint is present next time if there are no guarantees for remembering the password. To do that choose Users & Groups in the System Preferences and tick the box that displays the hints for passwords in the Login Options.
Try to Reset the Password
Another thing that you can try is resetting the password. After applying the changes to the old password, use the new one to enter the system. Usually, this method appears to be very effective. Only some of them can make use of the hint. If you have another account or share your Mac with another person, who also has an account, this procedure will be easy. Being logged in the system, you can perform the following reset procedure:
- Log out
- Select your account to perform operation on
- Specify the password and log in
- First, go to System Preferences
- Select Users & Groups.
- Click the Lock icon in the left bottom
- Specify the password again
- Select the account, you have password troubles with
- Choose the Reset Password option
- Set the new password
- Affirm the changes
These steps can assist you to reset the password for the account. But when it is changed, you should be more attentive than the previous time and do you best for bearing in memory the specified combination. The only drawback is that in such a way you will be not able to change the password related to Keychain. The tip to update it will be shown to you right after logging in. However, this operation will be unavailable for you, so you have to create a new keychain.
Pay attention that password resetting can be performed from the account with the administrative rights on the Mac.
Apply Recovery Mode
Apple offers a splendid feature for replacing the password for those, who cannot remember or change it using one of the above-provided methods. Experiencing issues of such kind, follow the next steps:
- Switch off your Mac
- Switch Mac to the Recovery mode. For this hold down the Command-R and press the power button.
- Choose Disk Utility and click Continue
- Select Utilities > Terminal
- Specify reset password (letters of a lowercase, one word)
- Click Return
- Indicate where your account is located (in most cases it is Main hard drive)
- Use Select the User Account option to choose the account
- Type the password
- Specify the password hint
- Confirm the changes by saving
- Click OK on the appeared warning that informs about changing the password (Note that this is not changing of Keychain password)
- Shut down the Mac
Log in using the new password.
Recover Your Data with the Target Disk Mode
If the above-provided methods have not helped you, then we offer to apply the Target Disk Mode. In such a way you will not be able to change your password, but you can save your data. Using this mode you can access your Mac from another Mac.
- Turn off the Mac
- Connect two Mac machines. Use Thunderbolt or one more option – FireWire, for such actions. (USB cannot be used for this)
- Start your Mac, then hold the T key while it boots
After this, there should appear the target Disk Mode as a hard drive. In such a way, using this Mac you can recover data from your Mac. Apparently, you have a lot of solutions and you can be sure that with such great feature your files and information will be never lost.